Best Protein Shake & Smoothie Recipes (Vegan and Vegetarian Options Included)
Who doesn’t love a great protein smoothie or shake? You can do it in a million different tasty versions – start your day with a refreshing green smoothie, have a midday berry smoothie as a snack after exercise or a chocolate-peanut butter smoothie for a dessert.
In this article we’ll try to give you a quick overall knowledge and how-to’s about smoothies so you can find your favorite and create your own special recipe to surprise your friends and family with! Also we have gathered info for the best protein sources so you can plan your protein intake more efficiently.
You might have different goals for drinking smoothie or shake. Maybe you want to have a quick meal replacement shake or you are looking for a weight gain/loss shake or looking for vegetarian/vegan protein sources. In all of the cases we are here to help you find the best recipe for you.
Are Protein Shakes & Smoothies Healthy?
Protein shakes or smoothies are generally considered a healthy option, but it finally depends on the ingredients used to make it. Smoothies or shakes that have protein-rich and wholesome fresh ingredients such as fruits, vegetables, high quality protein powders, yogurt, seeds or other sources of healthy fats and fibers can be a nutritious and convenient option to go with!
As with any other food or snack, be mindful of products that contain a lot of added sugars or other unhealthy ingredients, as they can be incredibly high in calories and have low nutritional values.
How to Make a Protein Shake/Smoothie in 5 Simple Steps?
Making a fresh protein smoothie by yourself is simpler and quicker than you think. It might take a few tries to get the consistency right but once you do, you’ll never go back to buying those premade sugar packed smoothies from the store!
- Add one cup of ice or frozen fruit to the blender. You can use any frozen fruit or a mix of different fruits.
- Add one cup of your preferred liquid. You can use milk, yogurt, your favorite plant based milk/drink, water or a combination of different products.
- Add one scoop of your preferred protein powder. In case you’re using a flavored or sweetened protein powder, be careful to not over sweeten your protein smoothie. It’s better to add the protein powder on top of the liquids, so it doesn’t stick on the sides or the bottom of the blender.
- Add any other solid ingredients you would like to add such as seeds, nuts, vegetables or fruits. In case you’re adding more solid ingredients, more ice or liquids should be added as well to avoid making the consistency too thick.
- Blend your ingredients until completely smooth. Be sure to taste before pouring your smoothie or shake to a glass and see if you’re happy with the sweetness and its consistency.
Smoothie Making Tips
- If the smoothie is too sweet, add some ice or water.
- If it’s the opposite and the smoothie is lacking flavor, add some more fruits, berries or a natural sweetener such as honey, agave nectar or maple syrup,
- If the smoothie is too thick, add liquids or ice to make the consistency as you like it.
- If the smoothie is too liquidy, add some more fruits or protein powder.
Our Favourite Smoothie & Shake recipes
Share with friends
You may also like